I wonder if I could merge last week post with this week post (due to my full life, lately) but somehow my personal story line has caught many persons attention and they keep insisting on new post, hungry for more updates. Ironically, only few of them left comments as remainder for me to return the favour when the time permits. Previously, I have the mindset of that personal stories were definitely not an attractive topic to be discussed with since what left of an ordinary person like me – everything looks so plain and boring. Besides, it’s the norm, when we tend to explain too much, other persons will call us liar and when we tend to be descriptive, they will label us being full of ourselves. This gonna be an epic!!!


It start with the phrase I hate ‘this is my first time’- the proposed title for last week post supposedly. I went to Syariah High Court for litigation in child custody (Hadhanah) and without knowing the general rule, I sat beside my co-trainee within the syarie lawyers bench until suddenly, “I think you’re not supposed to sit here, this seat belongs to female lawyers. You should sit over there,” Aimi whispered in my ear. Arghhhh....all this while, those eyes and nonverbal forms of communication from the audience, lawyers and the judge himself carries indirect signals. Why didn’t I notice earlier?


With my red face, I went outside the court after I bow before the judge, pretending I forgot something important and I assured my co-trainee that will return after a short while and this time I will join the male syarie lawyers. The court front door can’t be opened!! I’ve tried several times until the noise that I caused interrupted the proceeding. Another embarrassment. I asked a police officer to open the door for me and it made me feel so weak when I realised that the door was in a good condition. I certainly never expected that syariah court proceeding is completely different from civil court proceeding. I observed my Mentor (Syariah Division), Puan Salwani Bt. Khalid representing the clients and along the procedure I gained relevant input on matter pertaining to Fasakh and Harta Sepencarian.

On the next day, the Director herself delivered a brief lecture on summary trial procedure and impeachment proceeding. This is an early exposure to Law of Evidence and several components in Criminal Procedure. I studied a closed court litigation file in Child Adoption and to be frank, it’s a very long procedure. I had the opportunity to photocopy several documents for civil procedure with the hope that they might be useful for my LLB. (Hons). Due to my illness, I was absent on the next Monday and had to adduced show cause letter to my Mentor and of course, to the Director. I accompanied my second Mentor Encik Mah Soon Sin to Penjara Sungai Buloh for mitigation in criminal sentence. Most of the prisoners were charged with drug possession and robbery. I helped my mentor to conduct investigation for the want of formal procedure and for me, this is the time to be a bit of a show-off.

It is undeniable facts that they were four times bigger than me and not to mentioned, you knew already they way how criminals would behave (when they knew that I had the ‘key for their cell’). Of course, if we were outside, they would treat me nothing more than a wandering fly. I met one of my professional colleague, Jannah at the Universiti Malaya. Jannah you look awesome! December 24th, the date that most of the practical students have waiting for has come but somehow I felt so different. Why I’ve to feel so bad? All this while, I’ve been crazy counting to this end. Cik Hidayah bought me lunch and I realised that, I’ve been too long here until I formed closed emotional bond with my mentors and administrative staff. To me, the presents that I bought for some of them were not equivalence to the skills, knowledge, support and kindness they gave to me...